Okay real talk here….
Who willingly signs up for a fitness program that you know is going to be hard and is going to push your limits?? Well I did, and I know 26 or more amazing women who took the plunge with me!
Back in July I made a huge decision to take part in this crazy and amazing new fitness program called Shift Shop from Beachbody thanks to my amazing friend and coach Danielle! I followed her through her journey in the test group and I immediately fell in love with the program. I knew it was exactly what I needed in my life.
If you know anything about me at all you’re probably thinking to yourself “Ummm Shelby what do you mean you needed a fitness program?? You workout at the gym 5 days a week and teach 1 day a week so what more could you need??” WELL let me tell you the 5 reasons I decided to start this program…
1. I was in a major funk: I had a lot going on in my life this past year. I had several very important people to me pass away in a very short period of time. I hit a major slump in my life and I wasn’t willing to admit it to myself, even though people (and by people I mean my mom…sorry mom!) were trying to tell me that I was in a funk. I was still going to the gym but I was just there…I wasn’t really putting in the effort I usually did. I was just going through the motions and getting some type of workout in…and blowing that work in the kitchen…which leads me to my next reason for joining this challenge….
2. My eating was not on point: Let me just start off by saying I’m not perfect by any means when it comes to my eating habits. I am 100% down with a treat meal (yes I said TREAT not CHEAT…that’s another blog post though!) I was snacking at work, which I normally never did. A cookie here, some pretzels there, a piece of candy, or whatever it may be, and I had an excuse for doing it. My excuses were mostly “I’m working out later so I can totally have that” and I was OKAY with that! NO!! You can’t out run a bad diet! I knew that…but I didn’t care. To me that was not a good thing….
3. I needed a major change in my life: Once I was willing to recognize that I was in a major funk….(again sorry mom for not listening sooner….friends your parents are always right, listen to what they say!) I knew that I needed to do something majorly different in my life or I was going to continue on this downward spiral. I knew that was not an option for me because I promised myself a long time ago that I wouldn’t let myself get back to where I was 6 years ago. (If you don’t know what I’m talking about check out my blog titled “6 years and 43 lbs later”)
4. I needed to change my mindset: Did you know that how you think is connected to everything else that happens in your life? I mean yeah I’ve heard that your mind can either hinder you or help you to reach your full potential but I never connected that to my health and fitness. The more I followed Danielle through her journey in the Shift Shop test group, I kept hearing her say that she was making this “mental shift” and I kept thinking to myself what in the world is she talking about? Then when we began this challenge group and I started reading the book I Am That Girl (book review will be coming once we finish the book so keep your eye out for that because I am loving this book and I already highly recommend it!), and I began to realize what she meant. I kept looking in the mirror and instead of focusing on the things I loved about myself, I would immediately jump to the things that I hated and that was so unhealthy! If your mind is not in the right place, you are just holding yourself back from reaching your goals. Positive thoughts render positive actions, negative thoughts render negative actions.
5. I needed motivation and accountability: For someone who genuinely likes working out, I never would’ve thought that I would need motivation. But after months of just going through the motions and not eating the right foods to fuel my body, I was finding it difficult to find my motivation on my own. A friend of mine recently told me “Sometimes a trainer need a trainer” (Thanks Tamiko!!) –> I couldn’t agree more with that statement. I realized that I needed some guidance. In the past I could bounce myself out of whatever funk I was in, but this one was different and I knew that I would need more than my normal motivation to get me going. For me, I can say “I’m gonna follow this meal plan and eat healthier foods” then I see French fries and that all goes out the door (hey I’m human and I like fries!). But when I have someone (or in this case a wonderful group of ladies keeping me accountable for following the meal plan and doing my exercises, well then things are different. I hate letting people down, so knowing that if I messed up or didn’t follow the plan that I would be letting other people down…that’s not okay with me. Now I’m not saying that I’m perfect, I still crave things that I shouldn’t but I am getting better at resisting those temptations and that is what counts! If you need motivation I highly recommend getting an accountability partner!
And guess what…I have a BONUS reason as to why I wanted to join this challenge…and I can say it all in one picture because we all know that pictures say 1,000 words! I mean just look at Danielle’s results…who wouldn’t want to see what their body could do after that!
Here’s to making the shift, both mentally and physically!