Every teacher has their list of things that they can’t go without for the school year and I don’t blame them one bit! There are things that over the past couple of years I just know I need and then there are a few things that I have just recently discovered. So before I begin rambling, here are my top 10 teacher essentials!
1. A Planner: Now you can of course pick a planner that works for you, well all have different needs and we all like different styles. BUT, for the past 3 years I have been purchasing the KitLife Planner. If you have no idea what that is, a KitLife Planner is a planner that “encourages productivity, thankfulness, healthy habits, and a spirit of giving” (I quoted that right off the front of my planner — and this planner does ALL of that!). This year they added the new “teacher” edition which comes with all of the normal things that a regular KitLife Planner would come with but it has extra stuff in the back. Some of those things include; a place for a daily schedule, a weekly schedule, special needs/allergy list, classroom notes, special occasions and birthdays, contact cards, progress tracker, parent communication log, student logins, volunteer log and some extra pages for whatever you want to use them for! I love this planner so much! It makes my life so much easier and I don’t go anywhere without it!
2. Pens: Now you’re probably thinking “duh everyone needs pens” but I’m not just talking about any pens. If you’re like me (which you might not be and that’s okay!) I need to have everything color coded otherwise I will lose my mind! Now there are a lot of different options that you can choose from but my favorite pens are the Paper Mate Flair Porous-Point Pens, Medium Point, 1.0 mm. I bought the package of 24 and the colors are amazing! Literally every color that you can think of is in this pack! They have their own special place on my desk in their own special cup. Yes that might be a little obsessive but what can I say I like to be organized!
3. A Good Water Bottle: Now I’ve gone through my fair share of water bottles over the years. But I will say that my favorite water bottle so far has been my 48oz Bubba cup! This thing is just amazing! It keeps my water cold and I don’t feel like I’m running to the water fountain every 5 minutes to fill it up. I drink 1 whole one by lunch time then I can fill it up at lunch and I’m good to go for the rest of the day! Get yourself a good water bottle friends!! You will thank me later!
4. Cute Coffee Cup/Mug: Honestly coffee in general should be a teacher essential!! I know without it sometimes I just wouldn’t be able to make it through a day! But I will say that I do enjoy my coffee a little more when it’s in a cute cup! Whether it’s themed for the season/holiday or if it’s just a special cup that one of my students has given me. I love my coffee! If you don’t drink coffee and you prefer tea there’s nothing wrong with putting your tea in a cute cup/mug! 🙂
5. Teacher Bag: Now I’m sure that every teacher knows you need a good teacher bag! When I first started out I was carrying the same bag that I carried in college. It was a good bag and it had plenty of room in it and was easy on the shoulders! But another teacher that I was working with that year bought me a personalized bag that I have been carrying ever since and I absolutely love it!!
6. A Cute Lanyard: We all have had those moments where we’ve lost/misplaced our keys and our ID. One way to be sure that you don’t do that is to have them on a lanyard!! Now mine isn’t necessarily “cute” (it’s The Walking Dead themed) but I love it just the same!! It helps me make sure I always have my keys and my school ID. It’s also a handy place to hang the walkie-talkie when you’re on recess duty and you don’t have pockets!
7. A Nice Watch: Now I’m super into fitness so I own a Fitbit (specifically the Fitbit Blaze) so it doubles as my watch. I love it not only because of the watch function but because I can track how often I’m moving throughout the day. I like to stay active and keep myself moving. My goal as a teacher is to not teach from my desk, I like to move around the room. Sometimes that’s hard to remember to do if the kiddos are just silently working on something. My Fitbit will remind me to move around every once in a while!
8. Cute and Comfy Clothes: I’m the type of person that enjoys being comfortable but still looking cute. But I’m also the type of person that doesn’t like wearing the same outfit over and over again….yes I have a lot of clothes! Personally I wear a lot of dresses and skirts in the warmer months and a lot of leggings/pants and oversized sweaters in the cooler months. If you have a hard time finding oversized sweaters that you like I have a little tip for you…have a husband or boyfriend (or for those of us that might still live at home –> your dad), borrow their sweater, it’s probably perfectly oversized!
9. Cute Classroom Décor: Now this year I will say that I did a lot more decorating than last year and I love the way my classroom looks! It’s not exactly where I want it to be but it’s getting there! Cute classroom décor keeps me happy and helps the kids feel like they have a fun, safe and happy learning environment. (To see some of my classroom décor take a look at my blog post about my update classroom!)
10. Classroom Doorbell: Literally the best invention that I have ever heard of! One of the teachers that I work with had one and then another teacher bought one and she bought one for me as a gift for my room and let me tell you I love it! Now you’re probably thinking, what do you need a doorbell for? Well if you’re a teacher you know that there have probably been times when your room full of 30+ kids is just too loud. At this point you have 2 options, try to yell overtop of them or if you have one blow your whistle. Me personally I don’t want to yell and blowing the whistle sometimes scares the students that are doing what they’re supposed to and I always felt bad doing that. This doorbell gets plugged into an outlet and then you push the button and whichever sound option you choose will ring. The students hear it and they know to “stop, look and listen”. I love it so much and I think every teacher should get one, especially if you work with little ones!!
My fellow teacher followers what are your teacher essentials?? Leave them in the comment section below!! I would love to hear from you!